Sylvia and Gus each had $5 to spend (from the Xmas before last I believe...they're not into cash yet obviously) so I suggested they take themselves out to dinner and of course they picked Chick-fil-A. To sweeten the deal, I offered to take them to the Children's Museum to work up an appetite.
So we get to the Museum, I whip out my membership card as I approach the front desk, and am greeted with "Your membership has expired." What!? Didn't I just renew that thing 3 or 4 months ago. Nope, turns out the computer was right, it had expired, that very day in fact. I can hardly grasp how fast time is moving past. The older I get the quicker it goes.
The lady-behind-the-desk had mercy and let us in, telling us me I could renew on our next visit. The question is, should I renew? I love the Children's Museum, it is chocked full of creative and imaginative playthings and the kids always have so much fun there. But our own house is full of fantastic toys and art supplies that we hardly touch. We've got large blocks, small blocks, pattern blocks, Kapla blocks, beads, paint, board games, an unoccupied ant farm, really great things that are very rarely handled.
I think for now I will forgo the membership as an act of simplification. It's one less thing to spend money on and one less thing I feel like I have to get to. Maybe in the winter I'll be changing my tune. But for now I'll be opening my own cabinets when entertainment is called for.
No comments:
Post a Comment