Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The New Year

You would hope that your first day of the year would bring good tidings of things to come. Unfortunately, last year I woke up to a flooded basement that I spent hours wet-vac-ing up. This year was a little better, I had a not so subtle stomach bug that put me on the couch for two hours. At least I got to lay down. But I was up and able to function normally by noon so it could have been a lot worse. Sylvia's stomach hurts today and she's currently taking a nap, something she makes a point never to do. Flooded basement or no, last year turned out pretty darn good so I have high hopes 2008.


A book I picked up from the library, Look Alikes Jr. has turned into a big hit around here. Both Sylvia and Gus pore over
it. It was the inspiration for a project Sylvia worked all day on yesterday. She created her own room (a kitchen) in a box leftover from Christmas. I kept teasing her about all the dead flies on the floor. She insisted they were decorations.



Here's our New Year's Day spread. The collards are homegrown, and amazingly enough, the tomato is too. It's the last fruit from our long lived tomato plant from this summer and it fell off the plant in the wee morning hours. I wonder what that could symbolize. And then there's two of my favorite foods, Corn Spoon Bread and Sweet Potato Casserole with Marshmallows. I know it's a major culinary faux-pas, but oh so delicious. Sylvia ate her way through her entire plate so she could have seconds of the casserole. I should make those more often.

No comments: