Thursday, July 31, 2008

My Other Baby

My sewing machine isn't really my other baby anymore because my real baby makes it too hard to get to her but here is the semi-interesting story of how I found her. I will keep it short, I promise.

I used to sew in high school a little bit. I think I made a couple of shirts and a dress all without patterns. The dress was a flop so I took it to a little Asian seamstress to see if she could make the bottom into pants. I was envisioning some hip bell bottoms but what I got was MC Hammer pants. The seamstress wanted to make some more adjustments and told me to come back in couple of days. But I never went back. Which of course now I know was the wrong thing to do but back then I was in high school, a tad embarrassed, and spending my own money.

Then when I was first pregnant I borrowed my mom's sewing machine and made a quilt for Sylvia. I also used it for another quilt top and few other miscellaneous things. Eventually my mom wanted it back.

So there was a couple of years that I didn't have a machine. I missed it a little bit, but not too much. Then one day some of Gus' cloth diapers started needing minor repair. I could either fix them or buy some new ones. I needed a machine to fix them but didn't want to spend a whole lot of money in case I rarely used it. So to the Goodwill I went. And wouldn't you know, on my very first try, look what I found.



A 1960's blue Singer made in Great Britain and nearly all metal. All for only $15. It was fate, because you see, blue is my favorite color.

Phew, that was a little longer than I intended.

Just for fun, here's my serger. The much less attractive machine in my basement. And one of these days, when Millie starts going to bed earlier, I might get more use out of it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessie, I feel bad-you could have kept the machine! You are a beautiful seamstress-I still love my purse!!

Cortney said...

I love to sew. Just don't get around to it much anymore. I'm actually embarrassed to admit I don't have a scrap catcher on my serger. (I'm way to cheap!)