Thursday, December 27, 2007

Strange Gift


We had a great Christmas this year. We spent Christmas Eve and Day at my parents house. Amy came down from UNCC and Kim flew in from CA. Sylvie and Gus love playing with their Aunties.

Out of the family, I believe I received the strangest gift. Yes, even stranger than the tongue cleaner in my mom's stocking. Among other things, Rex gave me some marmite. At first I thought it was a bottle of bread yeast, but it's actually a yeast spread for toast and crackers. It's supposed to be energizing. I have yet to try it...I'm a little scared.

Other gifts of note include the scrapbooks my mom made for each of us girls detailing our childhoods, an antique coffee grinder, and two large "lipsticks" stuffed with stickers and hair things.

Miniature pumpkins have some major staying power. We've had that thing since mid-October.

2 comments:

moominmamma said...

Marmite? Be afraid. Be very afraid. The stuff is really pretty vile. A certain subset of the British, Australian and Kiwi population thinks it is God's gift to toast, but most of the world would beg to differ. We bought some to try out with our homeschoolers' Ethnic Cooking Club which was featuring New Zealand. The kids were thoroughly grossed out. Use a miniscule amount, even if you like salt. The remainder of our jar is getting used up as a vegetarian soup stock base, NOT on toast. :-)

Jessie said...

Thanks for the warning. The jar is still sitting unopened, just looking interesting on the windowsill. Maybe it will remain a decoration.